tape-monkey's blog

Sunday 6 January 2008

Oops! I wasn't expecting that! *giggle*

Well, I sneaked the URL for the memeGator onto a networking site on Friday, asking people for a bit of feedback about it - Then I took the bow-wows for a walk ....

Two hours later, I thought "let's see what the Gator is displaying at the moment" and went to the homepage for it (http://memeGator.com) - so I fired up the browser and went to its homepage ...

After 60 seconds or so without a page being displayed, I thought "that's strange - why isn't it showing anything?" - it wasn't my PC or my broadband connection that was on the fritz, so I logged into the server directly ...

4 minutes later I finally got a "login:" prompt - when the shell came up, I did a quick 'uptime' to find out how busy the server was - it had a load average of 125.45!!! (the load average before I posted the link was about 0.01!)

Needless to say, the whole machine had been *SWAMPED* with hits - I shutdown apache and removed the memegator site and replaced it with a holding page.

So, it appears that ;

1. People saw the link I posted
2. People visited the link I posted
3. The kit I've got to run it on is *hopelessly* underpowered for the job
4. I've got a *really* nice problem to solve :D

[FX: Looks at credit card balance and realises can't fund acquisition of half-a-dozen brand new Dell PowerEdges on tick at the moment]

[FX: Reaches for business card file]

The Gator will be with you again shortly tho, never fear ....

tape-monkey
[rewind]

No comments: